Tuesday 23 November 2010

Fan History

Fan History has long been a favourite wiki of mine. As the biggest non-Wikimedia project that managed to stay alive and grow over time, it was a valuable source of fandom information. Without it, I would have been unable to meet the people I've met and get to the source, the very ones responsible for making fan fiction a world-wide phenomenon.

I have a few drafts on this blog, waiting to be published, but this one is more important now that I think of it. Thing is, today Fan History is closing to public edits. For a wiki, this is pretty much a death sentence. Unless you get special permission from the admin, you won't be able to edit anything, with or without an account. I really love the site and hope the people running it somehow find time and motivation to make things as they used to one day. The hope is not a reasonable one because the site is up to change owners. Judging by closure of other fandom resources, I can only assume the concept of textual fan fiction is getting old.

Though, as long as some people don't go demanding fanfics to become a profitable and legal business, I'm sure sites like fanfiction.net will remain open. When the lawyers come, you might as well find a different hobby.

http://www.fanhistory.com/wiki/Main_Page

Have a nice, abuse-free day.

No comments:

Post a Comment